11 July 2009

Le Monde est Stone - English Translation


I've loved this song since I was 11.
Garou sings it pretty well. But I can't find the female vocals I liked...and no it wasn't Celine Dion's version.
Le Monde est Stone - sung by Garou

Interesting angle on the Garou video clip. I never interpreted the song as relating to a reaction to world conflict and the devastating effect of war. Although it's probably very suited I suppose. Personally, I saw it more as a person's inner struggle to deal with their different outlook on existence, their sense of alienation and feeling out of touch with everything that other people prize. I read it more as a sort of nihilist outlook compounded by a dread for life, a thirst for feeling, perhaps underlined by the accusative "the world is stone", the world is rock hard and unfeeling perhaps. Also read it as having an existentialist theme and a message about the profound meaninglessness of everything. That sort of thing.

One great song that I still very much love.
So here are the publically available French lyrics with my own English translation.


Le Monde est Stone / The World is Stone

J'ai la tête qui éclate
J'voudrais seulement dormir
M'étendre sur l'asphalte
Et me laisser mourir

I've a head about to burst
I'd like only to sleep
To stretch myself on the asphalt
And let myself die


Stone
Le monde est stone
Je cherche le soleil
Au milieu de la nuit
J'sais pas si c'est la Terre
Qui tourne à l'envers
Ou bien si c'est moi
Qui m'fait du cinéma
Qui m'fait mon cinéma

Stone
The world is stone
I'm looking for the sun
In the middle of the night
Dunno if it's the Earth
That's spinning in reverse
Or if it's me
Making myself some cinema (expression, actually means: dramatising things)
Making myself my own cinema



J'ai plus envie d'me battre
J'ai plus envie d'courir
Comme tous ces automates
Qui bâtissent des empires
Que le vent peut détruire
Comme des châteaux de cartes

I no longer want to fight,
I no longer want to run,
Like all those automatons
Who build empires
That the wind can destroy
Like castles made of cards



Stone
Le monde est stone
Je cherche le soleil
Au milieu de la nuit


Stone
The world is stone
I'm looking for the sun
In the middle of the night



Laissez moi me débattre
Venez pas m'secourir
Venez plutôt m'abattre
Pour m'empêcher d'souffrir
J'ai la tête qui éclate
J'voudrais seulement dormir
M'étendre sur l'asphalte
Et me laisser mourir


Let me struggle (Note: talking to many people)
Don't come and rescue me
But rather, come finish me off
To prevent me from suffering
I've a head about to burst
I'd like only to sleep
To stretch myself on the asphalt
And let myself die.

8 comments:

letranger said...

Have you listened to the version by Isabelle Boulay? I listened to versions by Isabelle, Fabienne Thibault and Celine Dion and liked the one by Isabelle the best. Lovely music but not words to cheer you up:). Thanks for a very nice translation! J

Laura said...

Thank you, I did not know there were that many versions. I still very much love this song so I will try to find Isabelle's version, thank you for the tip!

Unknown said...

Hello,

My name is Javier and I'm from Spain. I've arrived here by looking for some lyrics translation for this song, 'Le Monde Est Stone'. After reading, I think maybe this is the version you are attempting to find. http://www.goear.com/listen/208dce4/le-monde-est-stone-starmania-version-originale- In my opinion, by far this is the best version, absolutely disturbing. Also, like you, I see the lyrics much more as a feeling such as the one you describe. Well, thank you very much for your translation, I'm so happy for discovering one person who has the same feelings when hearing this song.

Best wishes and greetings from Spain,

Javier.

Colin Affleck said...

Mme Thibault gets my vote for best version. Amazing voice, haunting melody. Had no idea of the lyrics until recently and while its true they are not exactly upbeat, I associate the song with some happy personal memories. Arguably, my favourite song.
Regards from Canada
Colin

Sollihein said...

Somehow I remembered this song and wanted to look up the actual meaning. One question: is the word stone here actually a French word, or just an English word used lyrically? Because I have never found it used elsewhere (maybe I should do more reading of French writing). I thought one would use other words like caillou or pierre instead. Sorry just wondering, my French is OK but not very fluent :-).

Laura said...

Hi Sollihein,
You are spot on, 'Stone' is being used lyrically and is not a French word. I can understand why as it definitely sounds better than Caillou or pierre. :)

Chaos AD said...

Merry Christmas!

First of all, many thanks for the excellent translation. I came here looking for the exact meaning of:
Qui m'fait du cinéma
Qui m'fait mon cinéma


I also want to point to the English version of this song, adapted to English by Tim Rice, recorded by Cyndi Lauper and released June 18, 1992 on Epic Records:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pTbtglGQ5Q

Cover versions often fall short compared to the originals, however I found that in this case, courtesy the new arrangement and Tim Rice's work, this rendering firmly stands on its own feet.

Unknown said...

This is the best english traduction I have found so far, it really captures the intention of the original lyrics in french. You should listen to Maurane's version of the song, it's interesting to see how she sings it with a completely different feeling than other artists' interpretations.